Wednesday, April 11, 2012

X Marks The Spot!

So despite the craziness that seems to always enter our lives I can't actually let my kids go to school or gymnastics practice with their hair in some boring ponytail, right!?!  Oh who am I kidding, I do every once in a while, but I like being creative way too much to allow this to happen often.  Today's style has to be one of my favorites.  I thought it may get in the way for gymnastics, but it was put to the test and the verdict is in.... NOPE!  She reported that the braids didn't hurt her to do her floor routine at all.  Yippie! 


So here we go, I decided to do this with what I call my "inside out braid" since that is what I have called it since I was little.  However, I have come to learn that there is actually a name for it and it is a "Dutch Braid".  Go figure, all this time I thought a Dutch Braid was something I hadn't learned yet :-)  Nonetheless, you can do this style with the traditional french braid or the dutch braid, the dutch braid seems to hold a bit better.  


Begin by parting the hair down the middle the entire length of the head.

Then part the hair across creating a "t" shape.  They will be 4 semi-equal squares.  Use loose rubber bands to make sure the hair stays out of the way while you are braiding.

Then start braiding - although you will be grabbing hair from both sides when you braid, you will be braiding at an angle.  I suggest you stand at an angle behind your child.  It is the easiest way to make sure the braid follows the same path.  

When you reach the "intersection" of the head you will simply do a regular braid for a short time until it gets across and you can join hair from the opposite section.  This is the time where it can get frustrating and it helps if you ask your child to look down, this allows you to have a better view and grasp of the hair while you begin the braid on the new section.  It will also save you a lot of yelling :-) 

Repeat the same process on the other side.  Again when you reach the intersection you will do a regular braid and carry it over the first braid.  Then rejoin it with the diagonal section of hair and continue the braid.   

When you are finished braiding tie the braids at the ends (make sure to tie them at the same spot on both sides) and add a bow or colored rubber band.  
Notice the remote that keeps my "models" happy
and still while I braid! 

My Happy Client!


No comments:

Post a Comment