Sunday, April 1, 2012

Not Your Mom's Boring Bun!

Not Your Mom's Boring Bun


I grew up with a bun in my hair almost every day.  In the world of dance in the 70's, 80's and part of the 90's ponytails were not ok, a tight bun was your only option and even our bun covers were boring!  Thankfully our kids have so many options and yet, we are still searching for more! At our gym the coaches seem to like the girls to have their hair in buns for gymnastics competitions - high buns!  However, this hairstyle can be left down in a ponytail and also has many possibilities!  


My personal "Mama Disclaimer"... This was my first attempt at a hairstyle I remember seeing on the internet a long time ago.  I didn't do it as well as I would have liked, but it was still worth posting.  I will most likely do it again soon and hopefully do a better version.  


I suggest using a fine-toothed comb when gathering the hair for this hairdo.  It is very easy to get bumps in the hair and it can change the look (especially if you are working with wet hair)


I began by parting her hair from ear to ear.  If you need to have a higher bun then you need to have the part a bit higher up - maybe an inch or inch & a half (if she was competing in a gymnastics meet I would need it higher!) I would suggest securing the hair in the back so it doesn't get in your way. 


Then, stand in front of your child and use their eyes or inside of the eyebrows as a marker so you have an even line.  Make a part going back somewhat in the shape of a triangle- as you can see the triangle does not end at a "tip" but rather a line (see pic below).  Hold it with a small, tight rubberband.  This would probably look cute with colored rubberbands  


Do the same with the sides however, stand to the side of your child so the rubber bands are more towards the center of the head.  (By the way, yes, I forgot sunscreen on Friday - oops!  It was overcast and a minimum day, but you can see what a mistake that was! Moms, remember your sunscreen!) 


MISTAKE #1 - my side ponytails should have been secured
closer to the center of her head.  Not all the way, but maybe
1/2 inch closer. Live and learn, right?!?
Now comes your chance to do some variations:  I choose to do twist braids, but you can do fishtails or regular braids and they will all look AMAZING!  

You need to split the top ponytail in half and one of the side ponytails in half.  Take the right half of the middle pony and the left half of the right pony and join them together in the braid you decided on.  
Do the same with the other side.  
Then split the remaining sections in half and repeat your chosen braid once again
As you can see, this is where having those side ponytails closer up towards the center would have helped me.  However, I was so far into it by then, I didn't want to start over, nor did I think my daughter would let me start all over again!


So now all you have to do is pull the hair into a nice high ponytail!  For those of you choosing to leave it as a ponytail you are done!  Add a clip, a bow or, my favorite, use the braids to wrap around the rubberband!  It gives that look we used to see on I Dream of Jeannie but with great braids!

OR

Twist the ponytail to the right and begin to wrap it in a bun to the left.  


Pin any loose hairs using bobby pins and then you can use a great flower pinned to the side of the bun for dancers, your teams hair bow for soccer or softball players, a bow for school AND of course the traditional matching scrunchie for those competing gymnasts out there!  

You can see how using a different braid would show up more (although the twists look great IN the bun, but having the ponytails closer would help.  
I can't wait to redo this!  :-)  But she still loved it!






No comments:

Post a Comment