Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Bringing back the 80's - An EASY, Beginners Style


Apparently my youngest daughter has a mission to bring back every hairstyle from my childhood and teen years.  Yes, you can calculate my age (although for quite some time I had my daughters saying that mama was "29 forever" when people asked my age).  Nonetheless, as I was deciding last night on hairstyles I thought I would grant her wish and give her a bit of each style into one.  This is an easy, beginners style with many chances for variations.  
I simply started with a side part and then grabbed the first section (maybe 2 - 2 1/2 inches deep) and make a ponytail with a small rubber band (as you can see I used colored bands to spice it up a bit - hey she is 6!)
Then I did a simple, 3 strand braid.  I always braid more than I need to and end it with a loose, large band.  

Then take another section (approximately the same size as above) and make another ponytail incorporating the braid into it.  After you have secured that ponytail you can release end of the braid you had previously secured with the loose band.   


NOTE:  Beginners can continue this with another three strand braid, but I urge you to try more!
Take this next section and do a Fishtail braid.  Secure it with a loose band (just as you did with the previous braid).  Since I haven't posted videos (YET) I will try to walk you through a fishtail braid for those who don't know....  Separate hair into two sections.  Grab a small strand from the BACK of the section in your right hand, bring it over the right section and join it with the left.  Repeat this by taking a small strand from the back of the left side, bring it around the left section and join it with the right.  I WILL take a video of this later today and post it tomorrow.  It looks great and if you have a child with a lot of flyaways it helps tame those.  















Then, do one final section.  Once again, make a ponytail and join the fishtail braid into the ponytail.  In this section I did a twisting braid.  Take 2 strands of hair.  Twist both sections the SAME direction (I chose to twist to the right first) then twist them together the opposite direction (in my case, left).  Braid this one as far as you can.  Secure this final braid with a small band rather than the loose ones you previously used as you won't be joining it.  



The final step will be to comb the rest of the hair neatly into the side ponytail and secure it.  I secured it in line with the fishtail. 


They allow your girl to rock out!  Perhaps I was inspired because I was watching Girls Just Wanna Have Fun this weekend on cable.  One of my all time favorite movies I have to admit..... On the list, but WAY behind NADIA (which my girls won't let me watch since I know the words so well I can speak through the movie with the volume off!)  Oh come on, were my sisters and I the only ones who used to take regular baby powder and water and pretend we were gymnasts on the edge of our parents furniture??? Yea, my mom wasn't too pleased :-)  Ha ha ha 


I wonder what movie will prompt a hairstyle this next weekend?? 

Feel free to comment and give me any ideas, suggestions or if you have a dance, meet or anything you need me to come up with something for.  I can't guarantee anything, but it will be fun to try!  I am not a professional!  Usually it is when I am making mistakes that my newest hairstyles are discovered! 

Don't forget about the 1st giveaway!  Email me a picture of the hairstyle you try mamasalonblog@gmail.com 
You don't have to be a mom to enter.  Gymnasts, Dancers, Athletes & Coaches can try.... Style the hair of your teammates or if you babysit you can style the hair of that little girl and, trust me... she will love it!   Most of all.... HAVE FUN! 

No comments:

Post a Comment