Sunday, February 26, 2012

Never Quit - REINVENT!!

So today was a fun hair day!  A friend of mine came over so I could teach her some hairdos and it was so fun... especially when I showed her how easy some things really were.  She had "warned" me about the difficult hair her daughters had... ummm I guess she hadn't truly seen my Q-fro.  That is the loving name I have given my Cuban Afro... because once you see this head of hair untamed no one will ever tell me their hair is too hard to style!

As I spoke to her and was showing her a few styles one of the greatest things that happened is that she witnessed me mess up.  Yes this was GREAT!  So many times we as moms start with an idea and when it goes wrong we get so stressed and frustrated that we take the whole thing apart and have our kid grab a headband or toss their hair into a ponytail!  Well.... here are a few issues with that:

1.  We don't think about our kid!  Our daughters who have been sitting patiently now have nothing to show for it and I can tell you when I have done this I have NEVER thanked them because I am so mad at myself that I never think of them!

2.  I haven't learned anything except to QUIT.

3.  I may have just thrown away a great invention.

So... today was a really great example.  Instead of starting over or giving up I did what has taken me years to do.... I put a rubber band at the point where I had to stop I stepped back and I looked at what I had to work with.  I stopped thinking of the original hair style because I already knew that wasn't going to happen!  Well.... what do you know... "Just a little twirl here and a yank there and voila!  You've got an aesthetically pleasing configuration of hair that humans go nuts over!" (Thank you Scuttle for those words!)

So don't give up... trust me... it took me forever to figure this out... then it took me even longer for my kids to not think that grunting was a regular part of hair styling!!  But most of my styles are mistakes that I get creative with!  That is also why you will notice I don't take picture of my kids with their hair full of spray or serum.... I take the shots on my phone when they are rushing to school.  Real shots.. because it is what yours will look like. I always hated seeing blogs where the kids hair looks perfect because my kids will NEVER leave the house without a frizz here and there or without flyaways, but they will at least feel like mom cared enough to get creative LOL

Here is my original thought vs. my mistake turned hairdo!   A special THANK YOU to Princess Hair that I found on Pinterest that gave me this original idea.  I did copy their picture and want to give them credit.  My work will NEVER look like theirs and want to make sure you know the difference!!!



Here is Princess Hairstyle's Image.... Cute Right?!



Although I have done these twist a ton of times... today was not my twist day.  They looked more like knots, hairs were coming out all over the place and the whole thing was falling apart.  Then Bella's hair being so long that it was pulling the whole thing down so I started to make buns... that didn't work, so I ended up braiding up into a bun... Ughh finally I thought, wait, messy buns are in every cute little syle I see, So I pulled the braids up into a messy little bun, wrapped ribbon around it and it turned out so cute... Roxy, you can comment and back me up :-)  I didn't take as many pics of the whole look.  I wish I had.
I wish I had taken MORE of the screw up but I was bust thinking of
my next move... but you can see some of my work in progress here
If your child has long hair or a ton of hair this is a great way to
decrease the size of a bun... braid the bottom up so the amount
of hair in the bun is less!
If you have seen my other french twist braids you can see
what a mess I made of these... some good parts but not the same
and the one on the right... Humm I can't even tell you what I was doing there!  
I added this just to show you that YES I do bribe my kids
to get them to model so often!  Humm and maybe to show you
how OFF my part was!  Later I will show you a much better way I did this with Dani! 





No comments:

Post a Comment